DIY 30-Day Mindfulness Challenge
Finding contentment in these frantic times can sometimes feel like an uphill battle. An organized daily mindfulness practice will help you rediscover your peace, because there are deep wellsprings of joy within us no matter how perplexed we may feel.
Your happiness is just waiting to be freed from the chains that have bound it due to the hectic nature of your life.
Simply reading inspirational quotes and knowing about the miraculous benefits of meditation will not free you from anxiety, stress, unhappiness and exhaustion. But have no fear! A diligent daily mindfulness practice can help with these things.
Mindfulness is defined as a state of heightened awareness around your moment to moment thoughts, emotions, and experiences.
Enter the trend of mindfulness challenges.
A 30-day mindfulness challenge promotes the practice of daily activities that reduce stress and anxiety, improve performance and productivity, and increase happiness with a greater sense of peace, presence and overall well-being. Taking this challenge will also provide practical tools and strategies you can start using immediately to gain more focus and presence in your own life.
Set Your Mindfulness Goals
Take a holistic approach to your emotional needs and start building an awareness for yourself and the world around you. Mindfulness is a practice that can drastically change the way you think, feel and act.
Start by setting your goal for the next 30 days. Here’s how:
- Identify what you want to achieve in the 30 days. This could be anything from more peace, a greater sense of presence in your day to day life – anything!
- Visualize this goal, and encourage your brain to think differently and find new ways to achieve the desired results. For example, if your goal is to cultivate more gratitude, imagine what it would look and feel like to already have more gratitude in your life. For the best results, repeat this visualization every day for the next month.
- Remind yourself why you decided to do the mindfulness challenge and why it is so important to you. Focus on that importance and use it as motivation!
- Look at the bigger picture and visualize the next 30 days. Picture yourself overcoming any possible hurdles that might hinder your performance.
- Imagine the finer details of your personal goal and what it will be like to achieve it (see #2).
- Imagine the level of elevation you will feel after successfully focusing on your personal aspirations for a month and achieving your goals.
- Gently bring your thoughts back to the present moment and take that good feeling with you into the rest of your day.
One Minute Daily Meditation for Mindfulness
Even just one minute of meditation a day can make a huge difference in your personal well-being. Incorporating this one minute daily meditation will be immensely helpful throughout your mindfulness challenge – it will keep you anchored in your intention for doing the challenge in the first place. Meditation and mindfulness go hand in hand, so it will also help you cultivate mindfulness.
To get started, find a nice quiet place and a comfortable seat (in a chair with a straight spine, or cross-legged on the floor) and close your eyes.
Focus your attention on your breath. Feel the breath as it goes in and out of your lungs. Stay in touch with the different sensations during this process. Don’t try to alter it in any way. Just breathe as you normally would.
It is inevitable that your mind will wander. Don’t panic! Relax, and try to bring your thoughts back to what you were focusing on. Recollect them without criticizing yourself. Being mindful of your thoughts is the sole purpose of this mindful meditation!
In time, your mind will eventually become calm like a still pond. You will feel serenity within. With each passing day, you will be one step closer to inner calm as you proceed on your journey. Try this every day for 30 days during your mindfulness challenge and see if you feel a difference in your general sense of well-being.
Instill healthy habits in your friends and family who are interested in your journey by encouraging them to take part! Then, you can compare your progress with each other to foster a spirit of community and a sense of being supported that will propel you towards success.
Being mindful is all about being aware of and tapped into your surroundings. You can choose specific habits or behaviors to make yourself more mindful of your surroundings. Some ways to be mindful of your surroundings include:
- Do not eat while standing up
- Do not make calls or text on your cell phone while walking
- Meditate every day, without fail
- Write down your achievements at the end of each day
- Reflect on, or write down, 3 things you’re grateful for each day
- Put your phone away when eating dinner or spending time with people
- Stop multitasking and complete one item on your to-do list at a time
Completing your own 30-day mindfulness challenge will require discipline, commitment, focus and sacrifice. It won’t guarantee that you have a mindfulness habit for life, because you can fall out of good habits just as easily as you fall into bad ones. However, it will be a step in the right direction. So take the leap, start a 30-day mindfulness challenge, and enjoy the journey to connecting with your spirituality.
Have you done a mindfulness challenge? We’d love to hear about your experience! Are you considering doing one for the first time? Share your questions, comments, and concerns in the comments below so we can take part in and support your journey.